Sunday, May 25, 2008

First Week at Bethsaida

















Hello and welcome to my Travel Notes. I have already completed my first week and oh has there been so much to learn and quickly.

I arrived a Tel Aviv Airport Sunday, May 18, 2008 and the view coming into Tel Aviv as we broke through the clouds was stunning as you can see above.

Although I had to wait several hours at the airport for the Bethsaida bus to arrive, I was able to meet many of the rest of the team...take a look at the smiles!

The gentleman at the bus mike is Dr. Rami Arav, Director of the Bethsaida Excavations Project Dig and professor at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. I have the good fortume of being one of his students and hearing about Bethsaida firsthand. Our first stop was registration at the Ginosar Inn and it is there that you can see me...I am in the middle wearing a striped split skirt and a blue shirt. I, too, am all smiles and here due to the tremendous generosity of a special donor and the Biblical Archaeological Society under the direction of Hershel Shanks. I hope you will enjoy my messages as much as I am going to enjoy sharing them with you!

On the first day, Monday, Dr. Arav gave us an extensive list of dos and don't and then took us to the Areas of the dig. I have been placed under Dr. Elizabeth McNamer, Rocky Mountain College, in Area C. You can see that among my duties was setting up for 9:00 am breakfast. Tune in tomorrow and I will fill you in on our rigorous schedule and share more pictures! Until then...safe travel!
Gloria










































2 comments:

Pastor Gary E. Bender said...

Sister Epps, This is pastor Bender from Lawton. It is good to know that you are still highly favored of the Lord. You are so kind to everyone else, and now it is time for you to enjoy the wonderful sights of the Lord's creation.
As I think about what you are doing as you work this scripture comes to mind: Ezra 3:11 (ASV)
11 And they sang one to another in praising and giving thanks unto Jehovah, saying, For he is good, for his lovingkindness endureth for ever toward Israel. And all the people shouted with a great shout, when they praised Jehovah, because the foundation of the house of Jehovah was laid.
Stay on the Wall and don't come down. Love you much!

Bro. Bob Berry said...

Sister Epps, we are so proud of you. Keep up the good work. God bless you.